ACC Weekly Digest (Dec 6 - Dec 12)
Welcome to ACC Hoops Digest - where we take a look at some of the best matchups, some statistical trends, schedules, and information on each team in the ACC.
If you haven’t yet, give us a follow on Twitter or subscribe to the weekly newsletter!
Who Had the Best Wins Last Week?
Syracuse over Florida State. This was the first home ACC loss for the Seminoles in the last 25 games…and the Orange, after everyone has pretty much written them off, have responded with a double overtime win over Indiana and a road win at Florida State.
Wake Forest over Virginia Tech. The Demon Deacons are starting to look like they might actually be a problem in the ACC. They absolutely went crazy against the Hokies for a big 80-61 road win in Blacksburg.
UNC over Michigan. This was a big-name game in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The Tar Heels smoked Michigan 72-51 and are looking better each week.
Boston College over Notre Dame. After struggling against other actual Power-6 opponents (and not being included in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge), the Eagles got a very impressive 73-57 over the Fighting Irish.
Who Had the Worst Loss Last Week?
Pick your poison for Pittsburgh on this one. They lost to Minnesota on a last-second putback by a guy who hadn’t scored all game and then lost a 5 point lead in the final minute to Virginia on a last second shot. When it rains, it pours.
Notre Dame losing to Boston College (see above).
Who Had the Biggest Comeback Last Week?
N.C. State came back from 14 down against Nebraska to secure a comeback win after 4 overtimes.
Who Blew the Biggest Lead Last Week?
Pittsburgh (oh, poor Pittsburgh) blew an 8 point lead to Minnesota in their loss.
Who Were the Biggest KenPom Movers This Week?
Wake Forest (+33)
Boston College (+21)
Georgia Tech (-23)
Notre Dame (-12)
Here are the national rankings to start the week based on KenPom rankings.
The first number listed is the ACC rank, the second number is the KenPom rank, the last number is the increase/decrease in rank.
Duke (7) (-1)
UNC (29) (+20)
Virginia Tech (33) (-6)
Florida State (36) (-7)
Louisville (40) (-1)
UVA (51) (-4)
Notre Dame (52) (-12)
Clemson (53) (-8)
Syracuse (57) (+4)
Wake Forest (59) (+33)
NC State (73) (-14)
Georgia Tech (90) (-23)
Miami (95) (+1)
Boston College (113) (+21)
Pittsburgh (193) (+6)
This Week’s Most Interesting Games
This is a pretty slow week, outside of Syracuse vs. Villanova,…UNTIL Saturday.
(17) Kentucky at (51) Notre Dame - Saturday / 5:15pm
(52) Clemson vs. (69) Drake - Saturday / 2:00pm
(33) Virginia Tech at (94) Dayton - Sunday / 2:00pm
(57) Syracuse vs. (6) Villanova - Tuesday / 9:00pm
(57) Syracuse at (117) Georgetown - Saturday / 12pm
(15) LSU vs. (90) Georgia Tech - Saturday / 6pm
(36) Florida State vs. (100) South Carolina - Sunday / 12pm
This Week’s Master Schedule
**Rankings based on Sunday evening KenPom rankings**
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 7
(49) UVA at (174) James Madison - 6:30pm
(57) Syracuse vs. (6) Villanova - 9pm - ESPN
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 8
(95) Miami vs. (233) Lipscomb - 7pm - ACCN
(33) Virginia Tech vs. (218) Cornell - 9pm - ACCN
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 9
(73) NC State vs. (353) Bethune-Cookman - 630pm - ACCNX
(193) Pittsburgh vs. (132) Colgate - 8pm - ACCN
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 10
(39) Louisville vs. (107) DePaul - 8pm - ACCN
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 11
(57) Syracuse at (117) Georgetown - 12pm
(51) Clemson vs. (69) Drake - 2pm - ACCN
(113) Boston College at (88) Saint Louis - 5pm
(50) Notre Dame vs. (17) Kentucky - 515pm - ESPN
(89) Georgia Tech vs. (15) LSU - 6pm - ESPN2
(59) Wake Forest vs. (332) South Carolina Upstate - 7pm - ACCNX
(29) UNC vs. (270) Elon - 8pm - ACCN
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 12
(95) Miami vs. (219) Fordham - 1130am
(36) Florida State vs. (101) South Carolina - 12pm - ESPN2
(2) Purdue vs. (73) NC State
(33) Virginia Tech at (94) Dayton - 2pm - ESPN2
(193) Pittsburgh vs. (143) Monmouth - 7pm - ACCN
Top 3s and Bottom 3s
Top 3 and Bottom 3 Offenses (national rank in parentheses)
Boston College (121)
Top 3 and Bottom 3 Defenses
Florida State (27)
Top 3 and Bottom 3 Tempos
Wake Forest (57)
Virginia Tech (344)
Top 50 Matchups Around the Country This Week
(18) Illinois at (22) Iowa - 7pm - Fox Sports 1
(20) Texas Tech vs. (10) Tennessee - 7pm - ESPN - Madison Square Garden
(29) Florida State at (2) Purdue
(26) UConn at (48) WVU - 7pm
(30) Indiana at (27) Wisconsin- 7pm
(13) Texas at (32) Seton Hall - 630pm
(5) Houston at (9) Alabama - 10pm
(12) Arizona at (18) Illinois - 5pm
(17) Kentucky at (50) Notre Dame - 5:15pm
(25) Arkansas vs. (38) Oklahoma - 130pm - ESPN2
(42) St. Bonaventure vs. UConn - 330pm
(41) Colorado State vs. (46) Mississippi State - 2pm
(27) Wisconsin at (21) Ohio State - 12pm
(6) Villanova at (3) Baylor
**Last update was 12/3**
In the latest Bracketology, the ACC has 5 teams slated to make the NCAAT with UVA as one of the next 5-8 out.
Duke - 1 seed vs. Harvard/Norfolk State
Florida State - 8 seed vs. Texas Tech
Virginia Tech - 8 seed vs. Marquette
UNC - 9 seed vs. Iowa
Louisville - 11 seed vs. LSU
NEXT FOUR OUT = UVA
KenPom Top 8 and Bottom 8 Power-6 Rankings
TOP 8 POWER-6 (overall ranking in parentheses)
Purdue (2) - B10
Baylor (3) - B12
Kansas (4) - B12
Villanova (6) - BE
Duke (7) - ACC
UCLA (8) - P12
Alabama (9) - SEC
Tennessee (10) - SEC
BOTTOM 8 POWER-6(lowest ranked team listed 1st)
Pittsburgh (193) - ACC
Georgia (163) - SEC
Washington (149) - P12
Missouri (144) - SEC
Oregon State (136) - P12
California (119) - P12
Georgetown (117) - BE
Boston College (113) - ACC
KenPom Top 8 and Bottom 8 NON-Power-6 Rankings
TOP 8 NON-POWER 6
Gonzaga (1) - WCC
Houston (5) - AMER
BYU (24) - WCC
Loyola Chicago (28) - MVC
San Francisco (34) - WCC
Memphis (35) - AMER
Saint Mary’s (40) - WCC
Colorado State (41) MWC
Mississippi Valley State (358) - SWAC
Arkansas Pine Bluff (357) - SWAC
Chicago State (356) - WAC
Incarnate Word (355) - SIND
Delaware State (354) - MEAC
Bethune Cookman (353) - SWAC
Idaho (352) - SWAC
Houston Baptist (351) - SInd